May 16, 2021
International Organization for Standardization (ISO), being the largest non-profit organization worldwide has been instrumental in developing standards for any industry you name.
This has brought enormous transformation in global competencies to come together and make business processes standardized (easy).
On the other hand, the education and training world is losing much of its special status and is being considered more and more like an “ordinary” economic sector.
This also implies that schools, universities, and training providers are increasingly expected to perform at high level, behave professionally, and provide quality services throughout.
And I thought to bring this blog to all the readers and enthusiastic people looking or wanting to understand the list of ISO standards which can be introduced and implemented in schools and educational institutes across the globe.
Be it in local regional language, primary schooling activities, secondary and higher secondary educations, schools, colleges, universities for higher studies like medical science, information technology, engineering, physics, biodiversity, law and political science, etc.
To learn more about our consulting services on corporate governance, click here.
The best resource to know this list of standards is the website of iso.org itself.
You will find thousands of standards over this website but few important for schools and educational institutes are listed as below:
ISO 9001:2015 specifies requirements for a quality management system when an organization:
- needs to demonstrate its ability to consistently provide products and services that meet customer and applicable statutory and regulatory requirements, and
- aims to enhance customer satisfaction through the effective application of the system, including processes for improvement of the system and the assurance of conformity to customer and applicable statutory and regulatory requirements.
Consistent with the organization’s environmental policy, the intended outcomes of an environmental management system include:
- enhancement of environmental performance;
- fulfilment of compliance obligations;
- achievement of environmental objectives.
ISO 45001:2018 helps an organization to achieve the intended outcomes of its OH&S management system.
Consistent with the organization’s OH&S policy, the intended outcomes of an OH&S management system include:
- continual improvement of OH&S performance;
- fulfilment of legal requirements and other requirements;
- achievement of OH&S objectives.
The intended outcome of ISO 5001:2018 is to enable an organization to follow a systematic approach in achieving continual improvement of energy performance.
- is applicable to any organization regardless of its type, size, complexity, geographical location, organizational culture or the products and services it provides;
- is applicable to activities affecting energy performance that are managed and controlled by the organization;
- is applicable irrespective of the quantity, use, or types of energy consumed;
ISO 21001:2018 specifies requirements for a management system for educational organizations (EOMS) when such an organization:
- needs to demonstrate its ability to support the acquisition and development of competence through teaching, learning or research;
- aims to enhance satisfaction of learners, other beneficiaries and staff through the effective application of its EOMS, including processes for improvement of the system and assurance of conformity to the requirements of learners and other beneficiaries.
Recently we have facilitated V. N. Godhani English School from Surat, India to get certified with four ISO certifications.
We are proud to inform that V. N. Godhani English School has become the first school in the country – India to have this global recognition.
This was phenomenal journey for all of us as it was never attempted earlier.
We are always trusted by our clients to explore implementation of such compliances which are never attempted earlier.
Recently we were successful in exploring an industry specific ISO standard called ISO 24016:2020, a global standard for natural polished diamonds grading process.
We have proudly facilitated this for our client Shree Ramkrishna Exports from Surat India, and successfully helped them to become the first company in the World to achieve this global recognition. To know more about our case study on this, click here…
I hope the above list of fist ISO standards would help you plan and execute your journey to make your school or educational institute a world class place to create and deliver value to all the students and interested parties around. Stay Safe & Good Luck…!!!